Sunday, March 17, 2013

Crazy about Similes: A Book Activity

Many of you are familiar with my picture book Crazy Like a Fox: A Simile Story. If you haven't read it yet, this video trailer gives the gist of it:
The book's premise is to illustrate the comparison used in the simile. So, because Rufus the fox is sleeping like a log…
 …he is transformed into a log on the next page. The entire story is told in similes, with additional similes added by side characters. The idiomatic title of the book is explained by the plot itself: Rufus acts “crazy” to provoke the sheep Babette into chasing him with the secret purpose of luring her to her own surprise party. Most readers agree that it's an engaging way to introduce these figures of speech to students.

Recently I made a free PowerPoint slideshow as an extension activity for this book. It reviews the similes that tell the story and uses real photographs to help kids understand  the comparison. Each slide also asks a question that refers to the book.
You can download it from my shop on TeachersPayTeachers.

Hope it's as much fun as a barrel of monkeys!

8 comments:

  1. Hi. This looks like a great book! Similes are difficult to teach for the younger ones. I love Measuring Penny and use it every year. Happy to be following you!
    Gina
    Beach Sand and Lesson Plans

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gina, so glad you could stop by! I'll check out your link ASAP, thanks!

      Delete
  2. Wow. You are so talented. I am still learning my way, but I will eventually make my way to adding activities to the Little Miss History Travel series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barbara, thanks so much for visiting! It does take awhile to do these things...I'm way behind on making activities for my books...!

      Delete
  3. I just received your Seeing Symmetry book and used it with our geometry unit. Terrific!!
    What a great idea to add activities to go with your books as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great, Loretta, so glad the book is useful for you!

      Delete
  4. Wow, I love this book! So innovative! I am fascinated with how you create your books...do you paint them, do them on your computer...how?
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah! I use Illustrator and Photoshop mostly

      Delete

Please leave a comment...I enjoy reading them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover